01/08/2008 - 31/08/2008 23 °C
Chile, Argentina, Brasil
Santiago; Place de Armes, Mercardo Central, Museo Chileno de Artes, Precolumbia, Belles Artes, Contemporary, Natural Historic. Mendosa; Malbec Vineyards. Buenos Aires; Evita grave, Malba, BA Design, Harrods Buenos Aires (Tango lessons), Plaza de Mayo. Iguazu Falls. Coritiba; Museo Oscar Niemeyer, Museu Paranaense, Trindad, Parati Cachaça festival, Rio de Janerio; Copacabana Beach, Novo Catherdral, Christ the Redeemer, Museu de Arte Contemporânea.
Wildlife: Condor, toucan, parrots, woodpecker, white heron, vulture, hummingbird, croatamundi, kayman, mangrove crab and katydid grass hopper
1. La Bomba de Tiempo - jumping up and down to the tango rhythm of a 17 piece percussion band with 100´s of mental slam dancing Argies. Check it out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrKm5xUQtNo
2. The Iguazu Falls - finalist for one of the 7 new natural wonders of the world and we can see why, they are stunning. With around 275 individual cascades and the highest drop of over 80m, the chocolate coloured water thunders down creating an impressive sight.
3. Christ Redeemer - Named as one of the new 7 wonders of the world, this view over Rio DJ from here is breathtaking. The granite peak the 30 metre / 635 ton statue stands on - Corcovado - towers over the beach side urban sprawl at 710-metres, allowing views over Copacanna beach, Sugar Loaf Mountain and Maracana football stadium (the world's biggest) and the mass of favellas (slums).
1. Lost and drunk - following several samples of Argentina´s best red wine - Malbec - at an out of town area where you can cycle around the vineyards, we somehow missed our bus stop and ended up in an unknown area, in the dark and drunk. Not to smart and not much fun. Thanks to the random local girl who helped us to get a taxi home.
1. Boarder Patrol - Showing up positive on an incorrected banned substances swab on the New Zealand customs spot check. Lil was scared especially when they requested the sniffer dogs. Chris found it funny as they we had nothing to hide. Cleared on the second test.
2. Vertigo - Looking over the high cliff edges from the tram car going up the Corcovado mountain. (Chris)
Empenades - pasty type thing
Pastelde Chocolo - shepards pie Chile style
Soipilas - fried bread snack
Fruta do conde
Açai (amazonia berry) and Guarana smoothie
MOSTLY HAD FILL OFF
Not being able to communicate fully in the basic Spanish and none existent Porguguese we have, it can be very frustrating.
´In Columbia we hug not kiss´
Columbia guy at a party in Buenos Aires. In Argentina all the guys great each other with a kiss on each check.
Mati describing the building in Buenos Aires
`He is like a spy`
Mati describing about our anti mugging devises. Our guide book has a different book cover, the money is in a cigar tin and the camera is clipped to a belt loop.
`You like to put food on your face?`
Luiz describing Liannahs messy eating habits.
Approximatley 90% of the wealth in Brasil is owned by only 2% of the population.
FISH CAUGHT = 0
Lil = 1 x wasp / 3 x mosi
Chris = 1 x wasp / 7 x mosi
Starting again - on route to the beach today.
NEXT ON AGENDA
Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador