Scuba Diving Tayrona national park
Chris and Lils big trip
Salento, Coffee Region, Tyrona National Park
MONTH Sept 2009
01/09/2009 - 30/09/2009 30 °C
Bolivia and Peru
Santa Cruz; World Press Photo Display, Sucre, Potosi, Salt Plains, La Paz, Rurrenabaque, Lake Titicaca; Isla de Sol, Cusco, Santa Terresa Thermal Baths, Machu Picchu.
Pink Flamingo, toucan, vulture, amazon hawk, ostrich, jabiru stork, roseate spoonbill, spider monkey, cappuccino monkey, marsh deer, chinchillidae, cuniculidae, mountain paca, caohorro, melero, garduro fish, pink dolphins, alligators, caiman; black / dwarf, llama, capybara , turtle, giant centipede, tarantula, butterflies, praying mantis, lizard.
1. Birthday Bath - Soaking in the steaming hot thermal pools, at nearly 5000 meters above sea level, before breakfast as Chris reached 34. After getting really hot, running to lie on the ice and back into the pool for the ultimate heat.
2. Wetlands Pampas - floating down the marsh lined river surrounded by a massive array of tropical birds, animals and reptiles.
3. Amazon Jungle expedition - 3 hours by boat and 4 hours trek took us deep in the jungle. Camping under a net and tarp we tried jungle medicine, foods, fish, enjoyed the micro details of the flora and fauna and followed jaguar tracks meters from our camp.
4. Machu Picchu- One of the most spectacular sights of South America. High in the rocky mountains with jungle all around these ruins are in remarkably good condition seeing as they are 100s of year old; building technology years ahead of itself.
1. Rio de Janerio to Sucre - The longest overland journey so far, 72 hours and about 2500 kms by bus and train, tough.
2. Altitude sickness - the pain and sickness we felt at 4960 meters above sea level. Chris felt like a vice on his temples.
1. Close encounter with a snake - walking knee deep in swap and nearly stepping on a anaconda - Lil
2. Huayna Picchu - the further climb over Machu Picchu on thin very high cliff edge paths - Chris
Cats claw - jungle brew
Lianna vine water
Our own lounge to chill - to have a comfortable sofa and control over the remote.
MOSTLY HAD FILL OFF
Our stuff falling apart - clothes with holes and soles falling off trainers. To be expected the usage (13 months most days) we have given them.
´Christopher, in my country it means you are half good and half evil (lucifer)´
Angel, Bolivia waiter
´Liannah es mas importante, especially para Chris´
Fernando, Pampas Guide
´Para Pacha Mama ´ (whilst spilling some of his cuba libre on the floor for mother earth)
Alroberto, Jungle Guide
Francisco Pizarro is the Spanish conquistador who conquered Peru's Inca Empire. In 1531 he set out from Panama with a small force of only 150 men and crossed the mountains into Peru, where he defeated the entire Inca army. This was accomplished so easily because they Incas legend told of concurring rulers who would arrive on the backs of animals (horses) with superior weapons (muskets) and take over the empire.
FISH CAUGHT = 12
CH = 6 piranha
LP = 5 piranha, 1 gurduro (jungle chub)
BITES and STINGS
CH = Mosi /sandfly 40+, Tick bite 2
LP = Mosi /sandfly 60+, Tick bite 1, Jungle Nettle 1, Hairy Caterpillar 1.
Healthy glow but only farmers tan.
NEXT ON AGENDA
More Peru, Ecuador and Columbia